Thursday, December 14, 2006

"Just One Thing......."








What if we each did just one thing.....
What if... we each took just one step towards understanding our individual role in supporting the natural world we adventure in... Decided upon one small effort to maintain and preserve the natural environment... For one time our energy is expended for something or someone else... Or even one moment given for support and encouragement of another seeker within the wild lands...
These represent a different kind of generosity; one that is more about practicing a simpler kind of charity... I've mused many times regarding how it's not just about each of us, on our own... Rather, it is more about all of us, and even more so, about our stewardship for these special wild places...
I've pondered how adventures are not just about a focus upon an objective... that it can also be about a gesture, a very different way to expend energy, a reflection of a certain kind of effort... And then it is only a matter of letting this simple kind of philanthropy ride the wave of its own momentum... The impacts can be immeasurable...
Just imagine if even half of the people who enjoy adventuring in our wild lands did just one thing... made even one such gesture...
Some of my own simple efforts this recent past have been to put some extra time into restoring a much used trail, some moments of support in assisting a few young adventurers, giving a few dollars to an animal charity that unknowingly gave me something very precious years ago, leading a group of novices to their first 10,000 foot summit, and of course... gathering, painting, and placing anonymously these small Summit Stones...
This is not really about doing 'yet one more thing'... often it is only making such efforts part of the adventure experiences we are there for anyway...
We hike and paddle long distances one hour at a time, and are very amazed when we look back and see the distance we have covered and the height we have attained... We journey for many days and are in wonder as we reflect on the experience and how much terrain and how many emotions we have travelled through... If I can give back one small thing, then anyone can, and if anyone can, just imagine what could happen with just one thing.....
DSD


26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog! I love the way it's so visual. The images really bring out the feel that comes from your writing.

If you would want to exchange links, we would love to put a link to this blog on our Links page.

Thanks,
Wade

Anonymous said...

Taking time to enjoy the remarkable photos -- and your writing. Thanks for visiting my site and for your kind comments.
Nimblewill Nomad

Jesse Becker (Zoolander) said...

Amen brother! Great thoughts and images!! Keepin i real is the only way to be!

peace

Unknown said...

Hi Eb,
Good to hear from you!
Thanks for the comments on the pictures, although I can't take any credit for many of them. I search about and see what I can find that helps make the ideas more visual. Kind of like what Wade said. The pictures of the Summit Stones are my own, as are some of the others that will maintain my position of anonymity. I try to credit as many of the others as I can. I will visit your site many times I'm sure...
DSD

Unknown said...

Thanks Wade,
I have tried to add some visual aspects to the ideas...
There are many feelings that I have that inspire the writing and many more that are present when I post some thoughts... It seemed a reasonable thing to try and add some visual element to this too...
The credit for many pictures is not mine though. It is hard not to post many of my own shots, but then they would portray more about myself when that is not my intent...
I am working on understanding how to set up links too.
DSD

Anonymous said...

We appreciate your sentiments.
Your efforts are very unique too as are your painted stones.
Our family has enjoyed hiking for three generations now.
Ellis's

Anonymous said...

DSD. You give us lots to think about after reading this.

Anonymous said...

I found a summit stone last year.
It was such a wonderful experience. I have since "passed forward" your adventure muse to my son who is also a hiker. The summit stone is with a close friend, a hiker too, who has been ill. Thank you so much for you gift and so much more.
W.P.R. 2006

Anonymous said...

We found one in Jasper and now have also discovered your comments up at the TCT Trail Pavillion in Canmore!
"May the spirit and meaning you create on your adventures be forever present" to you as well.

Anonymous said...

How cool is this!

Anonymous said...

I believe so and have been doing this with my outdoor friends and community.

Unknown said...

This is never effort wasted nor ever time lost.....
Thank you all so much for your awareness.....
DSD

Anonymous said...

Finding ours was a fun experience.

Anonymous said...

Jasper 2003
On Maligne Lake
Great little gift
FFA

Anonymous said...

mine was a yosemite stone
Kyle

Anonymous said...

Am a "Finder" from Vancouver Island. We have been kayaking two years now and our first big trip was to Barkley Sound. The Broken Group was a terrific experience. We camped at Gibralter Island where we uncovered a special Summit Stone and Adventure Muse on the pointy spit of land there.
That had others looking too!
Thankyou DSD

Anonymous said...

In September of last year seven of us were beginning a multiday hike from the upper lake in Kananaskis. Our plan was to hike to Three Isle Lake and spend as much time there as possible but we had a late start and hiked only aboput five hundred meters along when RK of our group pointed out a small cairn in the tress tight beside a wide part of the trail. You could easily see two small packets - one with bright pink and other with bright yellow objetcs in them - They turned out to be these adventure muses and inside each one was a very colorfull beautifully painted stone.
We were surprised about what we had uncovered there!
Each of the summit stones is very attractive.
While discovering them was fun!, reading about all of you has been a great experience!

Anonymous said...

Friends have a terrific stone framed from their hiking on Quadra Island.

Anonymous said...

About time someone wrote like this about outdoor experiences.
W. Nevit

Anonymous said...

We're from Vancouver Island and are hiking this week in Lake Louise. Our Summit Stone was found in O'Hara Lake region on the Alpine Ledges of Mt Yukness.
It is terrific!
You do get out a lot DSD!
Devon

Anonymous said...

What magic you create.
What connectedness.
Great efforts.
Em Yosemite

Anonymous said...

Incredible good will here DSD.

Anonymous said...

We are a family from Washington who were hiking in Stewart Canyon by the Cascade River.
It was unique and inspirational to discover the stone we did.
Such a special thing.
Best Wishes

Anonymous said...

These are very kind and unique sentiments DSD, as are your efforts in getting our attention with your summitstones.
I would be so excited to find one of my own, and then I would be thinking about what I could do to share some of that feeling.
Kal

Paul Head said...

DSD,
Your blog was just what I needed, as I sit at work staring at Mount Seymour's snow covered crown out my window. We are most certainly kindred spirits, and I feel it is indeed my duty to share, respect and appreciate all the gifts Mother Nature has allowed me to enjoy over the years.
I look forward to sharing this "Trail of Happy Destiny" with you, my friend!

Namaste,

Paul
IBD Adventures

Anonymous said...

Jonathan Miller said "The years fly by faster than the miles. Thanks for the smiles!"