Friday, December 07, 2007

"When Our Paths Cross....."







There is one special trail in the Rockies where I wander upon about the same time each summer... There is a fellow hiker I have greeted out there at least a half dozen times... We call out as our paths cross, chat briefly, and smile as we part company with a 'see you next year'...
I find myself looking forward to that moment as I realize what day it is... A simple connectedness with shared meanings...
I was also able to enjoy some time this fall with a mentor and guide whom has shared much with me over the years, even when our moments together have been limited... A comment of his resonates with me: "People often come in and out of our lives and we rarely thank them for the part they played in our lives and we often do not realize the importance until time passes...".
Two other comments of his that are very positive musings for me have been in reference to 'being the change we wish for in our lives' and 'giving back in its many forms'...
It is a wonder to me how we may influence and touch each other's lives, even briefly at times...
These concepts seem very applicable to adventure experiences as we most often journey together with others through the wild places... Whether upon a rocky mountain path, a trail through secluded forests, upon a trek to distant summits, or along meandering coastlines and through deserted islands... there is always a moment that touches us to be shared out there...
Wild lands and adventures can create beautiful opportunities for a nexus, a connection, even a bond to occur... often in unexpected ways... I muse for example too how this happens after placing a small stone atop a mountain summit, to then be found there on a distant day... The stories of 'Finders' linked here cast morning light upon this perspective...
Then too, when sea kayaking a special group of our western coastal islands, I have shared such moments with a fellow party of adventurers... They are always together, while on those trips I have been solo... They allow me to become part of their fun and spirit for a few hours of shared laughter and lunch... When we head out on different bearings it is with a wave and much smiling... More simple connectedness out there when paths cross...
What might seem a simple moment out in the wild places actually resonates with us for years after...
Till we meet again out on the path.....
DSD








No comments: