Friday, June 20, 2008

"An Outdoorzy Challenge For Us All..."





"Find your places of power; where you become part of the magic. Return there many times; enjoy your experiences - then give back to those places". Grey Wolf
We all tend to tally up some kind of accomplishments within our adventure endeavors... yet there is often a quiet side to these efforts... One that can be an important yet hidden goal of connectedness within the adventure community and to our wild places... These are the many initiatives adventurers make in giving back and passing forward...
One of my favorite quotes is by J. MacKinnon who wrote: "A life list is, in the end, nothing more than a tool to look back on our lives and consider how we spent our brief moments on Earth. And what if, in those final breaths, you realize - I never gave anything back."
Such efforts can take the shape of almost anything... Just as there was something that sparked our passions within our chosen adventure activity... so it is with discovering our own paths to connectedness...
The story of the 'Giving Tree' as pictured above ( by Owen) has many meanings, and much mystery... Outdoorzy's enthusiasm is letting us create another chapter here...
And with this the Crew at Outdoorzy, also pictured above, has challenged us to inspire them!
They write: "Tell us of your best experience in the outdoors serving, preserving, helping the environment, or conserving".
I find that persons who adventure out in our wild places have such enthusiasms and are amazingly positive... they are also so creative and take much initiative... I have always wondered (as in my Post Link below of 'Just One Thing') what it would be like if even just a little of this great energy was focused upon yet another exciting new journey...
As for myself, years ago when Grey Wolf said, "If you take that stone, you must give something back", I pondered the meaning of this simply profound musing, and I guess I took it to heart as it has since lead me upon a wondrous path...
My sincere thanks to Wade and Outdoorzy for allowing me to be part of the karma and fun in raising such awareness... I am looking forward to reading about all the adventurers out there and their unique 'OSPEC' endeavors...
DSD


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just referred to your blog and I am glad that I came here. Great stuff.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the inspiration DSD!

I would encourage everyone to hop over to Outdoorzy and post up their experiences helping others or conserving our beautiful places.

Winners get a t-shirt and a summit stone!! You can't beat that. :)