Wednesday, July 09, 2008

"Castle Mountain Majesty..."




It was after our first ice climbing course decades ago that the majesty of Castle Mountain captured my muse... There it quietly stood during that deep winter day in the Bow Valley; a regal mountain not just of one summit but two; each distinct in their own Rockies way...
The scrambling and climbing routes are many and varied upon this castle of mountains...
I remember... Our group scramble during an extremely hot mid summers' day... An early season technical ascent in snow and ice up the usual descent route, with the later day fun of such high rappels...
I remember... The Eisenhower/Castle climb across the Dragons Back, and up all that very loose jagged rock... Helena Ridge scrambling, and the ridge walk from that summit as it circles above the hidden lake in behind Castle Mountain...
I recall memorably as well, the many visits to this Rockbound lake... such a favorite quiet point upon the map...
The Castle Mountain trailhead and summits have been very special moments too for placing these painted cobbles over the years...
The actual summits of our Castle are not the only coveted terrain there. Many adventurers quest to Rockbound lake itself with its' still waters surrounded as it is by dramatic cliffs...
There is a small peninsula near the back side of this stone bound lake. Some have built cairns there and on the routes to and from this hidden spot. During one of the placings over my own adventures I was surprised myself to discover a bit of treasure... Each Summit Stone & Adventure Muse is encased in two or three ziploc bags in order to better weather the elements. A Finder had found this at the largest cairn, and after accepting what I had placed, they then put their own offering in return in the same ziplocs....
Here is what C.R. wrote: "Thank you DSD for this wonderful gift. I hope you come back again and find my note with my appreciation."
I did C.R. - and thank you so very much.
There is truly a majesty to this Mountain and its surrounding terrain...
Castle Mountain overlooks Bow Valley with all its vulnerable wild places... The analogy of protection and preservation is not lost on us... Its also a mountain that guards its secrets well... as it should be... Only letting them be known to those who adventure among the castellated summits there...
DSD


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like some great ice climbing.

daydave100 said...

Hi,
A few years ago I reached my first summit, Castle Mountain in Garibaldi Park. Me and my friend found your summit stones and brought them home. I just wanted to say thanks, and I will be giving something back. I also saw a picture on your blog of one of our stones.

Thanks again,
David.

Unknown said...

Welcome David,
Wonderful to hear that your were a 'Finder' of a little touchstone!
Likely placed there by some friends and partners in placing from your area.
Always very happy to hear that they have found a good home with a fellow adventurer.
D