Thursday, October 02, 2008

"Seeking Our Shackletons..."



Years upon years ago, I discovered and then read whatever I could find on Sir Ernest Shackleton and the journey of his ship, the 'Endurance'... It was one of my very first experiences with adventure literature, and what a powerful impression it made upon me...
That voyage through challenging terrain, time, severe trial, and especially of spirit exists as one of the most inspiring stories out there... I recall the wonder, amazement, and the tears upon my face as I finished those books...
It was not an ending for me, but a distinct beginning. This had sparked an interest that still remains today about the source of real inspiration, true wonderment, about human endurance, and the power of spirit and motivation; particularly within adventures...
From that waypoint until now, even decades later, I continue to seek out these 'Shackletons'...
For me, and many I know, 'Shackletons' are true examples of intense experience, epic tales of trials, clear moments of intention and motivation, and journeys that are inherently full of inspirations... These 'Shackletons' have had immense value and practical utility for myself and those I know closely; especially in overcoming the epics within our own lives... And very much so when storms, setbacks, and mistakes cast us off course ... There will always be such trials that test our intentions and commitment, unexpected situations that attempt to break down our hopes and dreams. While these are as natural as lightning, sleet, high winds and waves - ever present too out there are each of our own 'Shackletons'... Those things that truly inspire us, that continue to ignite and sustain our internal passions and flames...
If we just open our eyes to see what we are viewing, and make the choice to turn into the wind, just as Sir Ernest did time and time and time again... we will endure.....
DSD
This Link is to the amazing descendants of Sir Ernest Shackletons' band of explorers, who will follow in their ancestors footsteps from the end of October 2008 until well into 2009: http://www.shackletoncentenary.org/



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting post. I loved his journal as well. Great piece of literature.

Winter Warlock said...

Very true indeed...

I think in the coming months, we will all have to find or become our own Shackleton - it is a time for pulling together and enduring. Rough waters lie ahead for the whole world - it is time to determine which side of fate you want to be on.

WW