Monday, December 06, 2010

"When I Reach Into My Pack..."




There is a very kinaesthetic and emotional experience in the touching of these small items, that I know will always reside in my pack. They hold enduring memories for me that have never lost their intensity, even though so many, many, seasons have passed...
When I reach into my pack, another old worn one in a series of such gear, especially during this later time of the year, my hand naturally goes for the small zippered pocket at the top. When I reach into my pack there, whether in bright daylight or darkness, I know exactly what I will find...
Three small, yet so significant things, tucked away in that little ditty bag, carried for so long. Always there with their presence. Three small items... One, a very small stone from a very first summit. The second, a tiny compass collected when I was so much younger. The third, a little metal tube with some ashes never forgotten. Three small items... Always carried with me out there, and forever in memory too.....
DSD

No comments: