Friday, August 05, 2011

"Fortress Mountain Moments..."




"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveller is unaware." M. Buber

Fortress mountain is a spectacular peak hidden away in our Kananaskis, that guards its summit and secrets closely at times... While it is described as an easy scramble, as in many adventure experiences 'easy' does not always mean simple or straight forward. My moments out on this Fortress have evolved over a number of years and many long days upon it. While the mountain itself has stood fast and ready for those who would join with it, I needed a series of adventures up there before its' elusive summit was shared with me. Each trip had its own distinct trials, yet also very special and unique moments. I remember the first time out, among snow & sleet & wind, and leaving that cold clime with only an intense commitment to return. My second journey was during a time of injury that took away the speed and endurance needed to wander deep into that valley leading to Fortress Mountain, and the thousands of feet of rock to be covered. While the injury took away the energy, the spark of desire remained... Number three was not a charm but was still a gem. It became a special time out with a close friend; a col gained above a hidden tarn, and laughter ringing out among the close surrounding peaks, even when our summit that day was not attained. Another year passed, more seasons of patience, then a solo day out with no one else about at all, only sensations of covering a now well known approach, with feelings of tenacity and a deeper understanding of persistence, as well as affirming for myself once more that re-creation of one's own motivation for such elusive experiences has a value that resonates as no other... All in all, a very long journey in total, such a series of trials, many long days, many longer hours, so much effort and desire, all leading only to moments, simple moments, upon a guarded vault of a summit upon this mountain called Fortress. Even still... I think I just may go back... yet one more time... DSD


2 comments:

Barry said...

My son and I fought our way to the Fortress Summit in August of 2002. It brings back great memories every time we see the mountains distinctive profile. Our route was counterclockwise around Chester via Headwall. Spectacular discoveries and a more forgiving scree climb to the col. Thanks for bringing back great memories. Just returned from hiking for a week in perfect weather at Waterton Lakes National Park. Magnificent!

Jeff said...

DSD, so rewarding for you that you reached the summit when out alone. While companionship on the trail is comforting, accomplishing a goal alone is like doing it with Nature herself.

I remember the first time I finished a 3000' elevation gain hike after slowly testing my limits as I increased my stamina. First was 1700', then 2000'. When I reached 2500', I knew I was ready to give it a try.

I like the solitary feeling I can have with quiet confidence and quiet satisfaction. Just a simple smile to myself says it all.