Thursday, September 08, 2011

"Distant Island Longings..."





Have we not all gazed longingly... At a mountain summit, a very deep canyon, or especially at a distant coastal island... With all the wonderings and wantings that go along with that. There was a time when such longings over some select islands were very powerful for me. I had viewed these deserted distant islands from a shoreline, during channel crossings, even by air photos, and out on other paddle trips - but had not yet ventured out to visit and touch them... They seemed just beyond my reach back then, a bit further than my skills and preparations would take me. The winds out in that particular wild place can have a mind to take anyone way off course, or even to risk much more than one might have intended when launching out. I so much wanted to belong as one of those adventurers who had journeyed among those distant islands, shared in their secrets, enjoying their sunsets and campfires. I remember a mentor saying in his quiet voice that to really belong to something, you needed to find a way to 'be your longings'... This musing has evolved to mean many things and holds certain powerful truths deep within it... It allowed me to create the ways to eventually, finally, paddle through and wander over those elusive islands. Is there a distant island, possibly an elusive summit, maybe a dark and deep canyon, that has captured your own muse my Friends... Time to create the ways to 'be your own longings' Dear Finders... And time for me to head out paddling once more as well... DSD

Thank you David.......

3 comments:

Hiking Lady said...

This is beautiful DSD! I'm sitting at the airport dreaming of mountains and adventures, getting inspiration from your musings. Happy trails!

Jeff said...

DSD, you asked if there is a distant island, possibly an elusive summit, maybe a dark and deep canyon, that has captured your own muse?

For me it would have to be Antelope Canyon on the Navajo Res in Arizona. I love the redrock canyons of the desert southwest. So far Antelope Canyon has eluded my sight. One of these days...

Unknown said...

Happy trails as well Hiking Lady. Very glad to be a little part of the way we each discover our inspirations!
Antelope Canyon looks to be a special place to muse and ponder Jeff, and a wonderful wild place to become one of our own longings too...
DSD