Sunday, January 29, 2012

"He Hadn't Noticed..."




I remember being that young, being so focused, so full of energy, with such motivation, determination, and not easily distracted at all. We met just after my descent from Sentinel Pass. He was on his way towards a solo scramble of Mt. Temple - one of my very favorite high places to wander upon. My day had started hours before first light as I wanted time alone up at the pass and the summit. The mountain wouldn't see too many this day anyway as the forecast was questionable and the light rain mists came and went. But the clouds kept drifting higher so I went anyway to spend time with the ancient rocks up there, the many old memories of mine that reflect upon Larch Valley, and with the Grand Sentinel, a climb I haven't made yet but still dream about. It was staying very cool, and the mist had blanketed everything with dew, while the gentle rain came and went as I noticed his approach. He was moving fast and steady, which this scramble asks of you, as it can be a long day out. I was perched up on a big rock and think I may have surprised him as he hadn't seemed to have noticed me, just as he didn't seem to notice the rain. He was so excited to be there, and just as eager to be on his way, but paused after learning I had been up there more than a few times myself. So young, so full of energy, dedication, and focus... I very much enjoy time with my fellow adventurers like this, even if brief moments they are. Its' almost as if we share a synergy in those seconds, of interests, dreams, intentions, and commitments. You all know exactly what I mean, I'm sure Dear Friends. There is something mysterious, yet so very powerful, in these sharings we all have experienced out there... Just as he was heading off after our short encounter, I told him to check out one of the large cairns, above the Pass, that mark the ascent to Mt. Temple's rock bands. He would discover something there, just a small gift... Something I hoped he would enjoy, as he then made his way up that wonderfully elusive mountain to the highest summit around here. He hadn't noticed all of this at first, but that is the way of things, when one's young focus is so intense. But I also know what he would then notice, as he attained his solo summit dream up there, and then would remember those moments forever..... DSD




My sincere appreciation Friends for sharing your images of your own moments of Mt. Temple.

No comments: