Thursday, October 19, 2006

Kayak Is A Verb.....











The word, the very concept of 'Kayak', is most often thought about as a noun...
But the essence of the meaning is found to me in how 'Kayak' is a being word, a verb of its own kind... To kayak is to feel the experience; to know it on so many levels...
S. Olson wrote, "Paddling along watching the skies, clouds, and horizons, there is time to mull such thoughts deeply and translate them not in one's own mind, but in the timeless background of hills and distance, the eternal and the immutable."
I remember... Northern lakes; Gulf Islands; the Broken Group; the San Juan's; and endless flowing memories that form a river in my mind.....
DSD




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can lose myself when in my kayak. It can be a kind of surreal experience, where I don't seem to think at all, and only kind of feel the movement and the sense of the water.
Read about you and your blog on a kayak message board. Sweet.

Anonymous said...

I met a group of kayakers camping on Dodd Island that found two of these summit stones. They were very nice and that group seemed excited about finding them.
Sebea