Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Mt Temple..... Mt Temple....."



I have had the privilege of being upon this mountain, very near Lake Louise, Banff, five times now... Four of these five adventure experiences, I made it to the summit; the one exception was retreating from a stormy day of sleet and snow; although it too had very special moments... Mt Temple was also my first solo; it allowed us to summit a group too on the 100th anniversary of its being first climbed; and I later returned to this temple of mountains for two more solo climbs of musing and contemplation...
Mt Temple was my first opportunity to enjoy the experience of 'flow' while climbing... After not summiting the first day, due to that terrific storm, I returned the very next day when the rock was now sure, the gravity much less, and the passing of time slowed greatly... It wasn't so much climbing as it was a 'flowing' up the route...
I am re-minded of J. Waterman's quote which says:
"No climber, active or inactive, young or old, can help but look back to one of their earlier climbs with a sense that they had touched something beautiful and elusive, and found movement upon rock and ice as creation... In these remembrances most climbers find necessary definition for the rest of their lives."
We have returned to Sentinel Pass, by Mt Temple, many times more over the years... One time I recall a special musical experience, when some wandering soul was playing the flute in Larch Valley below us... the crispness of each note and the echo at the end was captivating...
I remember... Mt Temple as a place of meditation, for contemplating the themes that this blog reflects...
I remember... gazing across at the Ten Peaks and the pristine waters of Moraine Lake, and appreciating those who protected this area and passed it forward for us to now enjoy...
I remember... reading in Larch Valley, and finding and choosing the quotes that are now in the 'Adventure Muse'...
I remember... that wolf in this valley of larches, on one solo very early alpine start, just across an open area, where we approached each other and yet both kept our distance, as it should be, out of instinct, intrigue, and respect...
I recall the climbing upon Eiffel and Pinnacle mountains, as the second and third Larch Valley summits, all to gain further vistas and perspectives on Mt Temple...
We have enjoyed over twenty summers in this area... I am so grateful for this time and the adventure experiences gifted us out there...
And still find myself exclaiming quietly... even after all these years... as we drive or hike closer to this mountain... "Mt Temple... Mt Temple..."
DSD

No comments: