Thursday, October 25, 2007

"Summit Stone Controversy......."




Adventurers... are most certainly individuals... Everything we do and think out there has a very relative nature to it... With this in mind, I have always been aware that each person will view the journey of these Summit Stones in their own way...
After a close friend pointed out discussions on the "West Coast Paddler" and the "Paddling.Net" forums, I wanted to acknowledge the controversial comments, the empassioned debate, and the insightful musings of their members...
If only one person has now said they would not appreciate finding something like a Summit Stone... then I am sure there are others who have also had the same thoughts. This is not something I would want to be disrespectful of.....
I was introduced, decades ago, to a 100 year old Mountaineer's tradition of Summit registers, where notes and mementos are left and taken away. Canadian Climbers also have a long history of giving others small tokens to remember their adventures in altitude by. Worldly hikers, have an even older history of building cairns, placing stone and wood guides, for others to find and enjoy. More recently, Geocaching, has become an internationally accepted outdoor sport that even Public Parks are allowing now. The Geocachers I know are some of the most environmentally aware people I've met. While the Summit Stones are not meant as geocaches in any way, these adventure sports give some context here for items respectfully placed and meant to be taken away...
Yet, even understanding such history and adventures in context... there may be some who view such activities as intrusive to their own wilderness travels... Summit Stones may be seen as an uninvited presence... And to these persons I do apologize.....
Yet I sincerely hope... that the medium or the method applied here... does not cloud the messages... Simple thoughts about... giving back in its many forms... passing forward in its endless possibilities... keeping on regardless of obstacles and adversities... about inspiration, mystery, motivation, and how these metaphors within our adventures make our daily lives more rich and vibrant...
This is also one of the reasons for placing a Summit Stone within an Adventure Muse... The Muse is about pondering our motivation for being out there... because in our motives we find meaning... and it is in our nature to protect what is meaningful to each of us...
I do believe though, there is a difference between the graffiti and garbage we have all seen out there that may permanently mar wild areas, and a small stone that is very thoughtfully placed, and meant to be carried away with the 'Finders' themselves... a simple re-minder of precious moments...
There are many who enjoy adventure activities who may be very aware of the vulnerability of our wild lands and seas... and just as many who may not be... The reality of it is that powerful forces exist which are real threats to the natural world... Sometimes, actions such as mine, or even efforts of whole nature based organizations, often do not seem to be enough.....
As I wrote in my post of "Just One Thing", these small pebbles are really only symbolic of what we each could possibly do in giving back to our wild lands - be it maintenance of a trail, cleaning up a beach or campsite, supporting wilderness and animal rights groups, spending time educating youth about nature, even prompting debates and sharing of our own perspectives on conservation awareness... among so many other useful efforts...
I realize we all have a personal level of appreciating nature... and respect each of us may be passionate about conservation and 'leaving no trace'... I hope I understand the difference between true wild country... and a parking lot at a trail head; a summit register; or even an established camp on part of a trail where human trace has long been present...
I appreciate such musings on these forum venues, as that discussion itself, and the many who then read and consider their own position, all has very positive value...
The natural world needs no enhancement... but is it a negative thing to attempt to invite enhancement in human perspectives about nature.....
Nature's beauty has its own perfection... human perspectives can always be developed further.....
I believe... giving back and passing forward is about more than being neutral... Wild places will not remain that way unless we take some kind of steps... even small ones. We cannot simply stand and observe and hope the innocence of nature will be left alone... That is not how the real world works.....
While it is not my intention to be intrusive ( and it may be amusingly ironic, considering my interest in Geology, that an 'intrusion' is a body of rock forced between strata) sometimes we may have to commit to an act... then hope for understanding... let go of the outcome... and simply ask for forgiveness if others see things differently...
As for the actual placement of these small Summit Stones, over ninety-nine percent of them have only been placed with a summit register, at an established trail head or campsite, or at times upon the windshield of another adventurers vehicle... These are places where traces of our passing are already clearly there.....
Maybe we are all hopeful of reaching that same protected horizon... but are just on different paths on how to get there...
People will indeed make what they will of these small rocks; and more significantly, individuals will create their own meaning for the experience... That is the way... and the nature of things.....
DSD
Link: "Just One Thing"

19 comments:

Rick McCharles said...

Controversy over summit stones?

That is the silliest thing I've heard of in months.

Talk about an over-reaction.

I understand you respect the opinions of the outdoor community. Respect mine, as well.

Please continue with your summit stones. I love them.

kungfujedi said...

Wow! I'm surprised at the reaction. Very thoughtful and interesting post DSD, but I agree with Rick. Don't stop sharing your stones. They are wonderful, and I think that the overwhelming majority of those that find them will be very appreciative of your gift.

You will always be able to find someone who has something negative to say however. That is a fact of life.

Anonymous said...

We are with Rick!
What you do and what you write DSD is nothing but respectful and noble.
We have read "Just one thing" many times over.
And would love to climb a mountain and be a finder!
Martha & Connie

Anonymous said...

Finder Yosemite 2006
Your trace in a summitstone was on my car after our climb. Didn't upset me!

Anonymous said...

Don't listen to the noise. You keep stonin 'em DSD!!!

My journey continues, and I hope to find one someday.

Love your work.

Anonymous said...

I find this post quite interesting. DSD, I did happen to run across the same forum you speak of about a month or so ago. Complaining about a small stone, with an impassioned background is trivial. At least it is a stone--could have very well been a tin can that caught your muse (Lord knows there are plenty of those on the trails)

If the ones complaining want to take a stand, let them. I am sure all two of them are suffering tremendously and there is nothing that can be done--

Cheers-
Jason

Anonymous said...

Skoki Campsite "Finder"!
Yes. Stone found in backcountry camp ten kilom. out.
Yes. Wild country out there.
Yes. We were surprised.
Yes. We kept it.
No. It was no intrusion!
Awesome DSD!

Anonymous said...

There is good debate on those
forums, except for that paddler who says his is the only responsible way.
That is not debate. That's pompousness!

Anonymous said...

In 2005 I made a very hard climb in Lake Louise. The summit cairn held three Summit Stone's and Muse's. I chose one. I earned it that day. My memory goes back to that day every time I look at it. How can that be some controversy?! It was my day and now it is my stone and it means something to me. I don't care much what someone says who has never found one. But for you DSD I will quote your own muse.
"I think that one of the lessons of climbing is perseverance. Having a vision and continuing inspite of obstacles. putting one foot in front of another steadily until you get to your goal."
I climb more than ever now and my muse is with me every time. Don't let go of the rope DSD.

Anonymous said...

What Rick said.
Respect does not mean abject agreement.

Anonymous said...

People ought to let a little light into their lives.
I mean really!

Anonymous said...

Say it again DSD.
"We can't simply stand and observe and hope the innocence of nature will be left alone. "
"THAT IS NOT HOW THE REAL WORLD WORKS"

Anonymous said...

There are lots of responsible things that could be done for our parks. Most don't do anything.
If only some people think about that you have made a difference.

Anonymous said...

I think it is hard to dismiss others opinions on this matter because we all have different reasons for seeking out these places. We all have different ideas about asthetics.
When I'm out in random wilderness settings any evidence of humans passing can detract from my experience there. A part of me likes to think that I'm laying the first track down (even on land that has been walked for thousands of years).
I found two stones last year. The first Stone I kept and the second I left where it lay for someone else to discover. I feel as though most of us can discern between garbage and a gift and I support the motivations and the message behind the gift so I don't have to think about that anymore.
The only thing I will add is that opinions are relative. They can be pretty or ugly and one can agree with them or contest them. But the truth just is and even if you argue it, the truth continues to remain. Hope you are picking up what I'm putting down.

J

Anonymous said...

Greetings from the Rockies there DSD.
Stories about your summit stones have been around Canmore for years.
Never has anyone said anything critical about them. Some people have no idea what they are complaining about. No need to explain to those who wouldn't listen anyway. I think the stones are an inspiration. We could all enjoy more inspiration and connectedness.
Someday I hope I find one.
22 Mooses!

Anonymous said...

You impressed me on this blog note DSD.
We Googled those forums and saw their rude insults.
The real trash is their talk.
Did they even read this?
Chilly

Anonymous said...

I just don't get the controversy?
We all have opinions I guess.

Anonymous said...

I admire your intentions and encourage you to stay to the tenets of no trace wilderness ethics. I am sure you can do both with your stones.
If those who say you are making a mistake keep in mind George Bernard Shaw who as an activist in his own way wrote:
A life spent in making mistakes is not only more honorable but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Mary

Paul K. said...

My Summit Stone was found on a Rocky Mountain Peak last summer at over 12000 feet. No one had been there in over two years except you DSD. I cherish what we each shared even though we have never met. Your gift is just that. A gift. It was in the summit register and I'm glad I was the one to find it!