Wednesday, November 18, 2009

"Today... This Is My Mountain..."




'Today'... I said to myself, 'Today, this is my mountain...' It likely was too in the physical sense as I was scrambling solo, with a very early start, in weather many would not venture out in, upon a very elusive Northern Rockies peak. Yet, I sensed what we all do at times too, within that quiet confidence we all experience, that indeed I felt something beyond the physical in that this day, this mountain was mine...
Not 'mine' in that loud kind of hubris, nor 'mine' as if I could ever own that particular element, but mine in a softer, more surely confident way. If I had an air about me of such positive belief, of such focused energy, in a manner of being so assured - it was only a byproduct like that which we all feel after really thorough preparation, very intense training, repeated reviews of maps & photos, and other details upon details. This was a quiet confidence too as this was a solo day out. None would know I was there, no one would ever see what transpired, no others there to prove something to about this summit. Only those who knew of these plans for safety were aware of these intentions. Such a quiet solo asks for confidence on another level; much as I was taught years ago through Outward Bound experiences. I believe to, that the wild place spirits allow us to embrace the adventure experience more closely at times, if we come to this journey with a certain sense of self blended with a real respect for them...
So, today this was to be my mountain, as I had already decided that notwithstanding all of the preparation, regardless of the end result, of any 'outcome', it was a day to be enjoyed, to have fun, to smile with the wind, to feel strong, to just do my best... Then with these perspectives, I set out surely and confidently, as indeed in those special moments, that day, it was my mountain...
DSD
My appreciation to MickRange at Flickr for his images of such mountain days included above:



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

But we must remember:

We are only transient visitors to these heights. We do not conquer the mountain. It allows us to scramble up its spine for a few seconds before forcing us back down again.

Rosalie506 said...

It's pretty much.
what I want to go there.