Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"A Touch On The Arm....."




I was just catching up with one of my old friends made while out years ago with Outward Bound. Both of us had been away recently coastal winter kayaking. There is a very close connection developed there that we have had for what seems ages now. We often chuckle and reminisce about our novice selves and the way we first faced challenges way back then. He was one who brought confidence with him to that experience, and then found new ways to grow this internal element even further when out there...During one of the many shared trust and personal challenge exercises, he stood beside me as I was next to go. Certain heights and some kinds of edges have always invited a bit of anxiousness for me. He could read this upon my face, and at that difficult point, he simply reached over and touched my arm... Then with a smile on his own face he just nodded to me...
This was a gesture reflecting subtle, powerful, quiet messages of 'I'm here', 'You can do this', and as he had just gone before, of 'If I can then you can'...
His face always comes to mind as I have passed forward such encouragement to others over these many years. Encouragement is a gift twice given it seems, and always, always, will bring a smile to each and every one of us adventurers...
DSD

No comments: