Sunday, June 26, 2011

"Looking Deeply..."




I enjoy it immensely when our sea kayaks glide so softly, as they do in those long moments, as we come in now very closely to a quiet island shoreline... The waters out here are always so much calmer than further upon the open ocean. Then everything becomes very still... The water, our selves, and eventually the kayak too as it drifts more slowly along. Then I close my eyes and listen for a time, tuning into those other elusive elements that we need to sense and hear as well. At some point I find myself then looking over the side of the kayak, gazing down upon the water, seeing beyond the reflections of myself and the craft I am cradled in, looking deeply for something beyond... Because it seems there are always other things down there in those depths - movement of the life that lives in the world below, rocks that I would so enjoy to gather, reflections of another paddler, surprisingly looking like me but not really the same. If we all take some moments to look this deeply, there are symbols too, of the past, this present, and hopefully this wild places' future as well. Time to look more deeply..... DSD



My friendly appreciation to those water folk, T. Page for the top image above, and also to S. Shephard for the lower image.

2 comments:

Barry said...

Many years ago, on a Bowron Lakes canoe trip, I experienced the pleasure of Lake Isaac perfectly still, like a sheet of glass. Shoreline and sky reflections were perfect. The illusion was our canoe suspended in mid air. The only sound was the echoing white noise of distant waterfalls camouflaged in deep, steep forest on the lower slopes of surrounding mountains. It was one on the most peaceful moments in my life.

Unknown said...

A wonderful memory Barry... Bowron is still on our long list. I will think of your comment when we get there.
Such peaceful moments we are gifted with out there...
DSD