Sunday, June 12, 2011

"Problems To Be Proud Of..."







In the midst of my first Outward Bound course, among mountains I had dreamed over for years as a youth, we shared a day of long rappels and rocky learnings, while moving over a very high and steep cliff face. As I now again read over my journal from way back then, and ponder the many years that have passed, I see again yet another quote from one of our Instructors - one that I put a big question mark beside and underlined a few times too... That was a day of distinct struggle for some of us, a day of anxious unknowns and problems to be met that most had never been faced with before - especially for me it seemed as I experienced what it was like to be gripped up there; not knowing what to do next; not seeing how there was any solution to what was before me... With the boisterous encouragement of my new friends, and the sincere support of our Instructors, I moved through those moments; yet it didn't feel like much of a success. At least back then, in the beginnings of those initial learnings... Sitting on the rock in our circle afterwards, as the sun began its own descent, I shared how that even while having gotten through the day, I wasn't sure I might ever want to tackle that kind of problem again. Our Instructor led a discussion then about the nature of such challenges, the particulars of problems and trials that are often hidden from us - and that the real elemental issue about them to be solved is more often our perceptions rather than just the circumstances before us. The scribble from my journal captured what quietly had been said next though, as we talked more about our adventure experiences, and how they might assist us in navigating through other challenges in life. In facing these, our Instructor stated, it can be so subtly important as we make our way, "To choose problems we can be proud of... Problems you can respect yourself for having...". My young ears had never heard such a description. How could it be that we each 'choose' our problems, on the many levels they confront us? That we can then be the person we want to be proud of in having made such choices? Now after much time has passed I can gaze back upon the trials and issues, obstacles and hurdles, that were 'chosen' over the years and sense the self respect we each can have for having done so... Adventures can very much be the means on this kind of path of understanding. Adventures among mountains and canyons, over rivers and oceans, inherently hold out elements to us that we can be proud of for having faced and embraced them. We become full of self respect for having engaged with them. Then this experience, like a stone gathered up by a waterfall when out wandering, we then bring such perspectives back here, another so valuable gem from out there, and discover the ways and means to become proud of the life problems we all seem to eventually choose to navigate. That Instructor's quiet comment still amazes me to this very day..... DSD


My gratitude to the Quiet Ones for the images above.

4 comments:

Barry said...

So well said. Thresholds.

As a young man, I spent a summer in military training. Hardship, constant challenge, discomfort. Hated every second of it. Many years later I realized the contribution of that character building experience as one of the most valuable in my life.

In 2003, I shared the experience of hiking across the Grand Canyon with a friend who had never done anything of this magnitude. Conditions were harsh. For a long time after, when my friend was asked, by people who marvelled at his achievement, if he would do it again, his response was 'No'. After about a year, he was asked the perpetual question and his response was 'Yes'. He finally understood the profound benefit of his achievement. And, we have been back to the Grand Canyon with a future trip planned to traverse the Grand Canyon on the Bass Trails.

Thresholds.

The prize belongs to those with the courage to reach beyond or deeper than ever before, and the brains to stay safe. The rewards are immense and immeasurable. It translates to improvement and appreciation in every facet of life. Seize the day.

Your post reminded me of something very important. Thanks for sharing.

Alexandra said...

Hi DSD,

Thank you for sharing this post with us! I have read it over and over and over and has left me contemplating and looking for a way to proud of a problem I have. Steep, snowy, slippery, slopes have left me with feelings of disappointment and frustration in taking away enjoyment during adventures and preventing me from reaching high points mentally and physically. The frustration grows as I can't find a way to win over these mountain conditions. After reading your post, and if I get what you are telling us, then I should be proud to say I am afraid of steep, snowy, slippery, slopes rather then having to say I have a problem with something like smoking or gambling!

Unknown said...

Thank you both, Barry & Alexandra, for your comments here. Perfect examples of 'problems we each can be proud of' for having chosen to face and embrace them; 'problems' we can respect ourselves for having... Like each of you, I continue to contemplate and ponder the meanings of these perceptions shared with me a long time ago. I like how you frame them too, Barry, as 'thresholds'...
I can envision you as well Alexandra, when having engaged those snow slopes with your learned techniques, a practiced self-arrest, a wonderful ice axe, and with a spirit that keeps on adventuring even when the slopes become slippery and steeper...
Amazing problems we can all be proud of!
DSD

Jill Kristin Ø.Remme said...

This was really great shots!!! What a light.....amazing!