Saturday, June 02, 2012

"Why Hiking Makes People Better..."

"Who first gives the new possibilities their meaning, their direction... he awakens them." Robert Music
Every so often I stumble upon an especially insightful piece of writing that I feel resonates greatly for many of us. Kathy & Craig Copeland of HikingCamping.Com are two fellow wanderers who share many ideas about how and why we do what we do when hiking out in the wild places that I have followed along with for years.
Their Guidebooks are particularly unique in how they each blend very detailed trail and terrain information, with an awareness of quality within these hiking experiences, and also what meanings such adventures gift to us. They write: "Guidebooks, like the wild lands they describe, should stir you...".
Recently they posted an article on why 'Hiking Makes People Better' . I've re-read this quite a number of times and on every occasion have found myself smiling, remembering, then pondering, and very much enjoying the reflections their musings have inspired. I wanted to post this before I head out today so you could all have a wonderful visit with Craig & Kathy , as they share such thoughts as: "Heading outdoors eventually leads within..." .
Enjoy your time with them my Friends..... DSD

2 comments:

Barry said...

Very insightful and the second of two good ideas to help me. It is on my agenda.

Unknown said...

Thanks for your thoughts Barry. Kathy & Craig do share wonderful insight and experience.
D