Sunday, July 08, 2012

"An Old Hiking Staff Awaiting..."



"As I was shaping my walking stick to fit my hand, I started thinking that it resembled my life...". Anon
How nice, I thought, here at the trailhead,some past wanderer has left an old hiking staff. It was more of a sturdy branch from a tree, but clearly had been polished from many hands using it and also was quite worn on the end which met the trail. I had not brought my own hiking poles this day as my intention was only to find a series of hidden waterfalls and not head up any mountain side. These were waterfalls that would be in full glory and force this past early spring, with the extra snow pack up high and the recent now warmer temperatures.
I have always liked hiking staffs and the usefulness of one is so often appreciated by us when out there. So this old staff which had been simply waiting there, was now to accompany me for this adventure day. It later shared a few stories from what seemed like small carvings upon it. It would also be so helpful when crossing the wet rock near those waterfalls. Handy too as I poked among the stones there for those special few who might become inspiration and a medium for me. I hope it felt welcomed, as I was certainly now grateful for its company, and when I returned it later as the sun was setting, a bit more happily worn it was. I smiled at it once it was placed back in its resting place at the trailhead, now patiently awaiting another companion, when it would then share in that next wonderful adventure..... DSD
My thanks for your image, as hiking staffs do very much take us in many directions. And, by the way, Dear Finders, have you ever wondered why so many artists carve faces in their hiking staff...

3 comments:

Barry said...

The hiking staff hangs above my front door, a gift from Africa given to me by my daughter. The way I aggressively use hiking poles would destroy this handsome staff, so it remains a shiny, ebony source of inspiration each time I leave for another mission. This finely carved hiking pole has a face carved on it. Apparently I am not smart enough to wonder why, but your question has prompted me to ask?

BTW, a summit stone, placed at the top of the Canadian Everest Expedition Interpretive Trail yesterday, waits for a fellow wanderer to find your artistically enhanced pebble and collection of profound mountain wisdom.

Barry said...

As an afterthough, the Canadian Everest Expedition Trail was a pleasant, relaxing end to the day which was largely occupied with completing the overwhemingly beautiful circuit around the circumference of Upper Kananaskis Lake. The volume of water from Mount Sarrail snow and glaciers is truly impressive and the powerfully pungent, damp forest aroma is invigorating. It is a fairly long day hike with enough gross elevation that I am feeling it today.

Unknown said...

A wonderful story to share of your gift Barry. A source of inspiration... We all can very much enjoy that perspective.
I ask often as well when I meet artistic hikers who have completed such carvings, and have found everyone has their own unique answer.
Great place to pass forward a smile too my friend.
D