Monday, May 25, 2009

"A Mountain Meditation..."



"It is only in the intentional silence of vigil and meditation, or in the quiet places of nature, that we encounter the song of the universe. Like the wind... this song echoes along the pathways of the cosmic web; it includes the celestial spinning of the planets, as well as the hum of insects and the dancing song of the grass; it includes the song of all the ancestors and spirits as well as the beating of our own hearts...". C. Mathews
Here upon the quiet side of this long ridge, I sit enjoying long moments of solitude as hardly anyone ever comes this far... My intention this day is for simple high lands meditations; like those I also practice near places of water & waves, wind & trees. The music of meanings we may experience in such places is of our own making; we are soloists in those meditative moments, and yet we may connect also with a symphony of breathing with the elements in a synchronicity that many of us have shared in out there...
As I write this after a sitting mountain meditation, I find myself looking across at a summit climbed over twenty years ago; gazing back upon memories of younger years and earlier adventure experiences, so profound and defining of life...
In the wilds we are offered a unique clime in which a focus on breathing, heart beat, and other mantra's calms and gives us focus during times of risk and adversity. I do so now also with a visual attention to the clouds, and the rock, the past route to that summit, all while listening to the wind...
We may lose ourselves in these kind of quiet meditations as we may have done in the actual past wanderings themselves...
I have accomplished no summit this day, but gain and affirm certain perspectives that I live by still that evolve from simple vigil and a quiet sitting mountain meditation.....
DSD


My appreciation & gratitude to Dow Williams for the above inspiring images:
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=19503
http://dowclimbing.com/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite things to do after a big test is to go out to a little mountain stream. I sit there and close my eyes. All I hear is the quiet gurgling of the small cascades and the birds chirping in the canopy. Pure peace.

Unknown said...

'Pure peace...'
My sentiments also...
DSD