Thursday, July 30, 2009

"Wolf Running....."



"If you could be an animal, what animal would you be? Answering that question creates a powerful personal metaphor." Grey Wolf
It was to have been a simple run out upon an even simpler trail... A short distance over rocks and roots, by water, and in concert with the wind... Some time would be needed to get the rust off these old knees yet again, and I know that such movement out there works well for me. When starting off I began to tune out the troublesome noises, both external and internal, to be left behind and to focus now instead upon the more subtle wild place sounds waiting to be discovered out there... Quiet sounds, that may only be heard with a very relaxed attention, especially above ones' laboured uphill breathing.
Just a long slow loop was the plan; but after the sensations of soreness and slowness eased back from my mind, I became a bit more aware of something else also gently taking place... Another level to this moment was opening up. The quote above took shape in my mind... Then along with the cadence of my breathing and the movement needed to run trails, these words then evolved into a mantra as I allowed myself to become lost in their meaning and the sensations of the wild surroundings about me too...
And then...
It almost felt as if my ears drew back some, my nostrils flared a bit, and the pupils of my eyes surely dilated more... Then I wondered or just imagined... Did I so much stumble, or simply drop onto all fours at some point. I began to feel, to sense, to understand what real running was truly about. Like the natural way a wolf moves along with such quiet speed and grace. There was nothing else to think about; only the trail, only the movement. I saw so much more then should have been seen. I sensed that which only a being of the forest would. I moved with an ease only my cells could remember. I was at that moment... A wolf running...
I glanced with new eyes to the left as I passed a mountain lake. A brief reflection in the still waters was of an image of something moving very near to the ground, with eyes so dark, with fur so grey and sleek.
I looked to the right and there moving through the trees were others of my kind. Running so silently... Moving so beautifully... Each of us following along with the others as it was always meant to be...
It went on forever, yet only brief moments had passed... This running as a wolf... Moving as we all know we can... Being part of our past and our future...
Then I saw the trailhead, slowed and then more slowly felt as if I stood; or imagined that the actual standing and that style of movement was feeling somewhat foreign than what was experienced moments before.
I slowed, then rested, with hands upon my hips, breathing more calmly now but deeply, so deeply... I looked back, trying to grasp and understand what just had been shared with me. It was then I heard that long, haunting, meaningful howl way, way back in the forest..... DSD

The image above of 'Wolves In Clouds' is by David Terrell, and is titled "Song Of Running White Wolf". Thank you David for the inspiration!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...how does one pick this. I mean, I find many animals to be beatiful, fascinating creatures...this is one I will have to think about.

G said...

Remember when we did this exercise on Outward Bound D? That was amazing fun that has lasted for years now!
G

Anonymous said...

When we share in the spirit of an animal, we become more than we ever were before.
Beautiful post D.
Good to know you are running out there with us all.

David Terrell said...

I am complemented that you like my drawing of wolves running in clouds. Would love for you to post a credit for it ... title is "Song of Running White Wolf" by David Terrell.

Thanks, I don't mind you using it. Best, DT

Unknown said...

Hi David,
Thank you so much for catching up. I very much want to ensure that such artistry is acknowledged.
I appreciate the image as it tells its' own story as well...
All the best,
D