Tuesday, May 01, 2007

"A Story Of Two Jonathans....."





I have been just musing these last few days about some first beginnings, and my very first awareness of two Summit Stone 'Finders' out there.....
Quite a bit of coincidence here and much serendipity, as they both happen to be named 'Jonathan', and we all frequent the same adventure wild lands.....
Here is what Jonathan L. wrote back in 2003:
"I was climbing today... and upon my return to the car I found upon my windscreen a wonderful 'summit stone' courtesy of DSD. I found it really cool, touching and uplifting".
Jonathan amazingly happened to get a response from a 'Gary' later on 2003, who wrote:
"I was sea kayaking in the Broken Islands... Among the rocks at one of the beaches our group found two summit stones. My experience was similar to your Jonathan".
A year later, Jonathan M., a 'Finder' of two Summit Stones in Kananaskis Country near Fortress and Rimwall Mountains in 2004 & 2005 wrote:
"Have any of you found a Summit Stone by DSD on your journeys? The stones are small with exquisitely painted mountain scenes on them. They are quite a treat, and the collection of intriguing quotes entitled 'An Adventure Muse' is a priceless gift. I was delighted with this find."
And Jonathan said of the Muse and the experience:
"It is a wonderful compilation of inspiring quotes from various wilderness adventurers and others who possess a deep appreciation of nature."
"It is clear that the entity behind these stones and this publication is a dedicated outdoors person going the extra mile to make the outdoor experience even more special for people like me."
"It truly is an uplifting experience to find one of the gifts and to consider the great expenditure of time, talent, and energy that DSD has made in this unique endeavor."
"I am not so interested in discovering the identity of DSD as I am in sharing the stories of the discovery of these little but powerful gifts."
These comments were made very early on in the first years of this Summit Stone journey...
A friend had told me about them. I had little computer and Internet experience back then and was taken by the amazing connections to be made upon this medium...
I myself was so very touched by the two Jonathans' musings, especially considering at that time I had believed my anonymous efforts would never really result in such a connection with 'Finders'...
I am also very humbled by their appreciations... And to see that this gesture has put a smile on a few faces out there, and encouraged further appreciation of our wild places, makes every effort worth every moment...
My partner and the same friend encouraged me to acknowledge the two Jonathans' as two of the very first 'Finders' from those early years and as the original persons to share thoughts about their Summit Stone experiences... Posting about them and what they wrote is just my simple way of saying thank you.....
DSD
(Pictures from Jonathan M. at Clubtread)

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read these on Clubtread when they were posted there. Just as cool now as then.
Toronto

Unknown said...

Thanks Toronto.
They have provided memorable moments...
DSD

Anonymous said...

I looked at the link to clubtread and read all the comments there. You have made quite an impression on people.

Anonymous said...

Seen these too
very cool

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way about finding mine.
Squamish 2006

Anonymous said...

Ours is from the summit of Mt Fiarview right by lake Louise.

Anonymous said...

Castle Mountain 2003

Anonymous said...

After climbing in Jasper, we came back to a Summit Stone at our vehicle.
It is a beautiful Stone.
What a unique project!
Nelson
Jasper 2003

Anonymous said...

The grand canyon is full of surprises around every bend in the river.
Our rafting group discovered a Summit Stone/Muse on a lone beach.
It is great!!!

Anonymous said...

Finder from 2004 in Kananaskis.
Thankyou.

Anonymous said...

Wind Tower Mountain was where I found mine. It is dated '03.
Thank you very much DSD.

Anonymous said...

We were hiking with a small group of friends on Quadra Island in June of 2006. DSD, you put a summitstone on each of our vehicles parked at trailhead. We had such a good time together and your presents were so appreciated.
Thanks very much.
HF, RR, DC, KM, CR, PR, DG

Anonymous said...

My gosh DSD, I didn't know what to think when I found mine on Dodd island last week, but I have come to just love my little rock! We fell in love with those islands and this is our special touchstone to remember the whole trip by. Thank you very very much.
Leah & Cam

Anonymous said...

Our family hikes each year in Yosemite. Last year each of out teens found a summit stone near the Meadows. Both were at the start of trails. Thank you from our kids.
California!

Anonymous said...

In July of 2006 you put two of these on our truck while we climbing by EEOR.
Thanks Guy!

Anonymous said...

Cool! Cool! Cool!

Anonymous said...

It is July 12th and we have returned from Lake O'Hara.
You put a Summit Stone on the Huber Ledge Alpine Route and we had the great fortune to find it!
Spencer

Anonymous said...

Hope these Jonathans get to read this

Anonymous said...

As an avid caver, I know these most interesting stones have been found by caves, near Canmore and Bragg Creek.

Anonymous said...

Real interesting project there dsd.
I have been reading about these across some message boards.

Anonymous said...

Awesome and inspirational!
REAL magic for your FINDERS!
Namaste

Anonymous said...

Having done long trips trips and day trips in Killarney it has become one of our most favorite destinations. Our summit stone is polished rock, like from a stream bed, is brightly painted, with a mountain, trees, and blue sky. It was far out from the start of the trail and put in a tree. We couldn't miss the bright yellow adventure muses. We really enjoy these.

Anonymous said...

Summit Stone Found In 2003
Trail towards Cory Pass
Over the other side towards Mount Louis

Anonymous said...

Picture what it was like for us sea kayaking out here in the broken islands and finding one.
Camping near the beach we had rain, cold, and damp. Then reading in our tent about musing.
What a kind gift this is.
What a difference it made in our trip.

ukeman said...

What a delight to "find" these "summit stones" again!

Just the other night, my oldest son,another adventurous soul, asked me if I ever learned any more about the "summit stones". I decided to have another go at searching the net, and to my happy surprise, there was your wonderful blog and A Story of Two Jonathans!

Touch a stone
Learn what it teaches
The silent wisdom
Of ten thousand speaches

Jonathan M.
Calgary

Unknown said...

Hello Again Jonathan!
Great to catch up with you as we both wander our ways over these past years...
It sounds like your son is also an adventurer too. My thanks for your poem here also. A very nice musing for all of us...
Happy trails & summits,
DSD

jonathan said...

Jonathan here again. I recently came across aphoto of the location of my first "finding" how can I send it to you?