Thursday, November 20, 2008

"Of Canyons And Crutches..."





It was such a great day for canyoneering... The desert heat, the colors, the surprises for both flora and fauna, unexpected waters deep between canyon walls, the immense fun of rappels, the scrambling and wedging oneself among ages old rock... such a great day...
We were having so much fun; I think my jaw hurt a bit from the smiling and the laughter as we returned to the cars. Then, while sitting there and chuckling more I looked up to see two quiet fellow adventurers - one who moved slowly by on a pair of crutches. The parking lot was full of climbers, hikers, and canyoneers... all themselves full of adrenaline and enjoyment, with that glow on their faces of mixed sun, accomplishment, and wild place wonders...
Our fellow on the crutches though, had no smile, no energy radiating from him, no magic in his step, no boisterous voice to talk and sing about the days adventures out there...
He was in obvious discomfort and moved like one who was new to the crutches, one who had only been recently injured, one who moved slowly not only because of this injury but also as a cause of the realisation of lost opportunities...
I could only wonder what had happened, and could truly empathize with his situation, as those of us who have experienced severe injury all can, in what that may do to us and may take away from us... The two seemed to wander a bit aimlessly, one seemingly not knowing what to do as his partner had been waylayed, and one very likely wondering what may come next during that long path of recovery... They went to their car, rested, then wandered off to watch some other climbers having their vertical fun. I had to move fast, as I had already decided to place a Summit Stone & Adventure Muse on their windshield... I simply walked by and tucked it there...
There have been small things gifted to me during my own injured times, such as very helpful words of encouragement, and useful shared experience of how to get by; I hoped maybe a quote in the Muse and the possible meaning a Finder may create about a small painted cobble, just might provide a bit of support at this moment in his trial...
They returned; had a puzzled look as they picked these up; the one on crutches sat with the door open while the other stood and watched... I sense they knew what it was...
He held the stone, and spent some long minutes looking through the Muse... Slowly, so slowly, the most beautiful smile crept up his face - one of those big, broad, full of energy, crinkle the eyes kind of smiles. I couldn't help it and found myself smiling in the same manner as I watched from beyond the cars. That smile, that look upon his face, was wonderful as was their animated discussion that was now underway...
Sometimes we all need a spark, a moment, a word, a gesture, even the most simple of things... just so we can see a little bit further along our own horizons and more of the possibilities that wait for us out there... even in the midst of the most trying of times...
I still smile today when I think of our great day of adventuring and even more so about that parking lot among canyons and crutches...
DSD

3 comments:

Ruth said...

What a nice gesture and story! Encouragement like that would promote healing.

Anonymous said...

My inexorable drive to travel westward with the setting sun cannot be extinquished.

Anonymous said...

I always come to your blog for inspiration. Your insight and words are truly a gift. Thank you. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!